In which Keary rants like a mad woman!

Ok, so I was looking through all the blogs I follow and found one that showed an upcoming release for this fall.  The title: ANGEL.  It had a book trailer in it and I watched.  It says so and so reinvented the fairy.  So and so reinvented the vampire.  And then, and this is what got me really, REALLY worked up this morning.  They said so and so has now reinvented the angel.  GAH! I just wanted to SCREAM!!!

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm happy for the person who wrote this book.  Good for them (*grumble, grumble*).  But it just has me so worked up about this whole process of trying to get published.  When I started writing Branded last February I looked and looked for other contemporary fantasy's about angels.  There was nothing that I could find.  Nothing!  I was so excited, thinking I had tapped into this new, unique idea.  Then Hush, Hush and Fallen come out 1 and 3 months after I start submitting to agents. 

There have been more and more books come out about angels.  It seems like there is a new one almost once a month now!  Obviously it's a popular subject, people must like it.

People claim to like Branded.  I get amazing reviews, most of the people who have finished it tell me they read it in once sitting, and it's a 370 page book!

So tell me, WHY THE CRAP CAN'T I EVEN MANAGE TO GET AN AGENT? 

IS IT REALLY JUST GARBAGE AND PEOPLE AREN'T TELLING ME?!?!

1 comment:

The Mecham Family said...

Don't be too hard on yourself Keary, there are millions of writers out there!
That is really frustrating that you are seeing such a huge influx of writers in your subject. :-(
Do the publishers ever give your areas for improvement or edits? If I had to give some critisicm it would be Branded needs a little more editing for small things, like word use, spelling, that kind of thing. And I would suggest editors that have no relationship to you, so they can give you good, honest feedback.
But you do have a good and original story. Just stick to it, it'll pay off. Maybe not with Branded, but hey, it's your first book. Don't give up. :)