Timeless Book Review



It's been a REALLY long time since I've written or posted any book reviews.  I don't get as much reading as I would like to done but I still try to read a book a week or so.  Hope you enjoy my review of TIMELESS.
Timeless

Timeless by Alexandra Monir
Pages:  304
Published: January 11, 2011 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers

Summary from Goodreads:
 When tragedy strikes Michele Windsor’s world, she is forced to uproot her life and move across the country to New York City, to live with the wealthy, aristocratic grandparents she’s never met. In their old Fifth Avenue mansion filled with a century’s worth of family secrets, Michele discovers a diary that hurtles her back in time to the year 1910. There, in the midst of the glamorous Gilded Age, Michele meets the young man with striking blue eyes who has haunted her dreams all her life – a man she always wished was real, but never imagined could actually exist. And she finds herself falling for him, into an otherworldly, time-crossed romance.


Michele is soon leading a double life, struggling to balance her contemporary high school world with her escapes into the past. But when she stumbles upon a terrible discovery, she is propelled on a race through history to save the boy she loves – a quest that will determine the fate of both of their lives.
 
MY THOUGHTS:
 
I had some really high expectations for Timeless. The description alone made me buy the book and the cover is lovely. I don’t normally get into historical romance or time travel stuff but for some reason I just really wanted to read this.


As I started reading it I actually looked up reviews on it. They were pretty much all really good. Everyone loved it and fell in love with the story.

I’m sad to say that I didn’t quite feel the same as everyone else. I’ll break it down for you in the good and the bad.

First the bad: The biggest thing for me was the actual writing. It felt very awkward and unbelievable at times to me. It kind of felt like it was being written by a fourteen year old. And my other major problem with it was the characters. I didn’t feel a connection with any of them really, especially Phillip, the main guy in the romance. They just felt kinda… flat.

Now the good: I do think Alexandra did a great job at describing historic New York. I’ve never been to New York so I had no idea what this world would look like so I though she did a fantastic job of painting the picture. I could picture the Windsor mansion and it felt like I was there. The author really did her research. And this story was actually wonderfully layered, toward the end. As Michele time travels you see different generations of her family, where people fit in in the overall story, and it actually turned out really well.

Overall, I REALLY wanted to love this story. And the actual story was pretty good, the writing just didn’t quite live up to what I hoped it would be.

2.5/5 stars




1 comment:

Nicole said...

Oh that's frustrating. It sounded so similar to a TV programme I watched years ago..

The Arrival, only .99c on Amazon
www.damselinadirtydress.com