Review: Never Eighteen by Megan Bostic

Never Eighteen
By Megan Bostic
Published by:  HMH Children's Books
Pages: 204
Release Date: Jan. 16, 2012
Source: ARC from NetGalley

Summary from Goodreads:

I had the dream again. The one where I’m running. I don’t know what from or where to, but I’m scared, terrified really.

Austin Parker is never going to see his eighteenth birthday. At the rate he’s going, he probably won’t even see the end of the year. But in the short time he has left there’s one thing he can do: He can try to help the people he loves live—even though he never will.

It’s probably hopeless.

But he has to try.





My Thoughts:



I had the awesome chance to hang out with Megan Bostic for a while at the writers conference a few months back and I was thrilled when I got the chance to review her book through NetGalley!

Austin is on a mission.  A mission to set things right, to mend the wrongs of his past, to help those he hasn’t had the gumption to help before.  He faces his greatest fears and takes his best friend along for the ride.

I loved the friendship between Austin and Kaylee.  It was sweet, realistic, and charged with romantic tension.  It reminded me a lot of a relationship I had in high school, and just in general reminded me what it was like to be in high school and all the drama that is involved.  Kaylee was totally believable and I loved her sarcastic, don’t-give-me-any-crap attitude.

Never Eighteen reminded me a lot of Thirteen Reason’s Why, but while 13 was really sad and depressing, 18 was hopeful and uplifting.  It made you think about what your priorities in life really are, who you’ve effected throughout your life, and what things you need to fix.  The message is one that we’ve seen done many times before but it puts a young and fresh spin on it.

The simplistic style in Never Eighteen was great.  It read fast (and it is a short book) and I actually really enjoyed the short chapters.  I buzzed through the book in about 3 days (fast for me having 2 kids and my own writing to do, lol!).

Be advised: there is a LOT of swearing in Never Eighteen.  It didn’t bother me too much because it was all believable and it flowed with how a teenager would talk.

I recommend this book to those who want to read something a little different from all the other YA stuff out there.  It was nice to slow down, and take a look at my own life, and put myself in Austin’s shoes.  I give it 4 out of 5 stars.

1 comment:

Natalie Valdes said...

Wonderful review. The synopsis was very interesting and your opinion has opened my intrigue for this book by quite a lot. I'm buying it!

BTW Keary you are an amazing writer and an inspiration to us younger authors that are afraid of the publishing world. Self-publishing may not be as financially rewarding, but the work and the relief with having done everything yourself is.