Never know what life is going to throw at you...

I usually do not blog about personal things but a few of my followers are friends with me on Facebook and have been asking a bit what has been going on.

Some of you know I have 2 kids, my daughter is 3 and my son is 1.  About a week ago my daughter, MaKenzie, had an ear infection and the nurse we talked to said to just wait it out.  She started to get a bit better but 2 days after that she started complaining that her foot hurt.  By Tuesday she wouldn't even put any weight on it, much less walk at all.  So we went into the doctor that afternoon and he sent us off island to the ER on the mainland (there isn't a hospital on our island, it's a 1 1/2 hour ferry ride to get to the mainland...).  They told us it was some kind of infection in the bone but that they couldn't do much for her at that hospital, which is very small.  So they sent us down to Seattle Childrens Hospital.  It was 1 am by this point, and snowing like crazy outside.  Washington doesn't prepare for snow very well....

It took us about 3 hours to get down to Seattle.  They admitted us into the ER and started poking and prodding.  They withdrew fluid from her ankle, which was swollen and very red, and very painful for MaKenzie.  We found out it was a septic bone infection.

Eventually she went in for surgery to clean out the infection, not a big deal but still surgery.  After that it is just a matter of flushing their system out with a major amount of antibiotics.  Then we find out for this type of thing children are generally in the hospital for about a week...  Might not normally be a big deal but when it takes you almost 4 hours to get back home and you have a 1 year old son who wants to get into everything and isn't allowed to be there at night, what do you do?  So for now, my husband and I are taking a few day shifts staying at the hospital and going home to take care of our son.

She's seems to be feeling a bit better today.  She's been VERY uncooperative with the nurses, and fights everything (she's normally a VERY strong willed kid...).  Hopefully she'll feel a little better every day.  But for now we still have at least 3 more days in the hospital and maybe up to 5, if everything still goes okay.

It's times like this that you really learn to appreciate your health.  It could be so much worse.  I just have to say how much I love my kids, and how much I appreciate a husband who is so good with the kids and is such a good dad.

So if you don't see me much around the next while, you know why.  Thank you all for your support!

6 comments:

Rane Anderson said...

Oh no! I hope she feels better soon! My thoughts are with your family. :-)

Jason and Kim said...

I'm sorry to hear that she's going through that. I hope she gets better soon and wish you the best of luck!

Morgan said...

Hang in there Taylor family! Sending lots of love and support your way. ;)

CHRISTIE said...

How scary! I hope she is feeling better very soon! Loads of prayers and positive thoughts coming your way!

Keary Taylor said...

Thank you everyone for your support, love, thoughts, and prayers! They mean a lot to me! We brought MaKenzie home last night! We are both SO happy to be home finally!

discount Chanel bags said...

Fast forward to 2010 when designer resale consignment stores– online and brick and mortar shops became commonplace and practically everywhere (everyone became a reseller and set up an online shop on Multiply or on some other online platform), I decided that it was also time to choose between my blog and that business.