Letting your writing take it's natural course

Sorry for the major lacking of decent blog posts lately.  With this writing break it seems that I've also taken a huge step back from the computer and the internet in general.  Which has been a good thing.

But I've had some time to reflect lately on writing in general.  Like: what really makes good writing?  How can I improve my own writing?  How do we get from point A to point B in plot 1, 2 and 3?  I've also had my book EDEN on my mind lately.

EDEN was an interesting book for me.  As I've said before, it was an experiment when I started it.  I didn't think I could write sci-fi/dystopian/post-apocalyptic.  I always thought of myself as a fantasy writer and I honestly didn't read much in those other genres.  But I had the idea so I went for it.

But things changed so much throughout the story.  Getting from point A to point B took a lot of unexpected turns.

Did you guys know that West's name was originally Tyler?  Yeah, I named him Tyler in the beginning because for some reason I really like that name so I decided to give it to him.  But as I got 20 or 30 pages into the book, I realized that I HATED Tyler.  I couldn't figure out his character.  He felt forced.  He was annoying.  

And then it dawned on me.  I couldn't figure out this character because I had given him the wrong name.

Honestly I don't remember how I came up with the name West, I guess it was just born into my head, or maybe West just finally told me his real name.  But suddenly this elusive character slid into place and I knew exactly who he was.

And there is one scene in EDEN that changed the entire course of the rest of the book.  I'll tell you which one it is.  Grab your copies of EDEN and kindly turn to chapter thirteen.  This was a chapter that surprised me.  I didn't expect it to play out as it did.  And then Eve unexpectedly said this line to someone:

 "You mean more to me than anyone here in Eden."

And that was the line that changed the course of the rest of the book.

I don't know if I've ever said this online, but I'll let you in on the big EDEN secret.  Eve did not end up with who I had planned her to end up with at the end of the book.  When I started the book I had it very clearly planned out who she would end up with and how I was going to take care of the guy that she didn't end up with.

Because in chapter thirteen she surprised me by saying that line to the other guy.  Eve's feelings went to a place I hadn't planned.  And in the end, I realized she made the right choice.

Letting your writing take it's natural course is a bit scary.  It takes you off your charted course at times.  It throws huge kinks in your outlines.  But it makes for more natural, better writing.  Sometimes your characters know their story better than you do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Briefly – if you happen to don’t for instance the backpack for every good reason and very little cartier replica sale within zero cost courses you maximum 365 days to come back the application designed for and uncover your hard earned dollar once again. Considering the holiday vacation hunting months for usa a number of internet business try to produce how to retain the people floating because of ones own exterior doors. In such a hublot replica sale an important anxiety for lots of internet business, notably considering the up-to-date current economic climate, a number of internet business can be making use of advertise holiday vacation plastic bags that will them all through promotional. Although a lot of internet business definitely implement plastic bags use rolex replica pieces on, a single is without a doubt reproduced utilizing small business company name on ecstatic holiday vacation tones might capture the eye in all spending. Look into the application that fit this description, one people creep into ones own hold and even get a get, if you end up getting the merchandise items with the rolex replica sale it is easy to require if and when they would love a bigger you to accommodate every truth be told there services on. Then an site visitor takes outside the hold inside the centre and even almost everyone some people excrete will find that advertise backpack in your internet business. You shall not cartier replica require an important backpack who makes many people become aware of, furthermore you will require which will backpack to remain sizeable good enough to cling them plastic bags as a result of several other internet business on top of that.

Unknown said...

There is no doubt that au resume services reviews and nice books is not easy but i am happy to see you are really very good and famous writer and i really appreciate you for this success and hope you will give us precious knowledge of writing.